Written by: Amanda McKinney – Marketing/Branding Strategist – AM:Marketing
Start thinking “Evergreen Content” to help provide valuable content to your audience
As business owners, we feel the pressure to constantly come up with content for our audience. While this pressure is needed so that we do provide value to our audience, it can be easier to do than you may realize.
The answer is to think “Evergreen Content”!
Evergreen content is content that stays relevant over a long period of time and continues to provide value.
Terra Milo brings up a great point in the Collective Conversation in that you might come up with a really impactful piece of content that your audience loves so why only share that piece of content once? Her example is that instead of writing new email newsletters every week or month, she sets up a sequence of emails so that no matter when someone opts into her list, they all receive the same content.
Furthermore, Rena Chiovelli elaborates on how to let your content live beyond just one instance. For example, let’s say you did a live-stream video on a topic that really hit home with your audience. You saw the numbers go up and it really resonated with your audience. JACKPOT! This is great news and you should definitely capitalize on that.
Take that topic and live-stream video and allow it to do the following:
- Create a freebie on this topic, this will help grow your email list
- Create a blog post on the topic
- Create a podcast from your live-stream audio
- Pull quotes from the video and create images for social media
- Use messaging on this topic for a Facebook ad leading to your freebie
Two suggestions for how to release evergreen content are:
- Email sequences (MailChimp and Convert Kit are automated systems for this)
- Schedule social media posts to be recycled (SmarterQueue or MeetEdgar are automated systems for this)
Content Ideas for Evergreen Content:
- How to lists
- Collections of resources
- Warming up to controversy
Tips for Evergreen Content:
- Be mindful of seasonal messages if you use a sequence. For example, you wouldn’t want to have a ‘smoothies for summer’ in your sequence because you cannot control that this would only be deployed during the summer.
- Review your content every so often. For example, you can set a reminder for yourself to review your content once a quarter just to ensure it is still valuable, relevant and timely.
- Use automation as much as possible. Let technology make it easier on you! Plus, this will remove it from your daily tasks so you don’t have to feel like you are repeating yourself.
Remember: we might feel like we are sharing the same content over and over but keep in mind that no one sees all of your content (thanks to social media algorithms), plus people forget! If the content is valuable, then your audience will be happy to hear it again.
We know that even this can feel overwhelming if you are just starting out. And if that’s the case, please let us know and we would be happy to help you sort out a plan for your content plan. Book a 30-minute discovery call to find out how we can help.
We believe in you!
Amanda McKinney is the Founder of AM:Marketing where she provides strategic marketing consulting for your business.
Whether you are launching, revamping or just need a refresh, AM: Marketing is ready to wake up your branding!
After identification of your business goals, industry research and analysis of previous marketing efforts, AM:Marketing works with you directly to understand your objectives and build a marketing plan to achieve your strategic goals.